Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I thought it was about time I learnt to sew.

Last week was our first ever housewife meet up since we both made the move to Europe. Not really being a fan of sewing or needle craft, I thought since I was now on the quest to become one of the best housewives ever (along with my fellow housewife friend) that it was about time I learnt this handy craft that so many housewives have perfected. My fellow housewife Lu has this craft down to a fine art, having made toys, quilts and plenty of other crafty things with her own two hands (which sadly lack some much needed hot pink nail polish).

We sat at the table with the essentials - a packet of stroopwafels, almond rounds, chocolate (from not-so-flatland) and a computer to search for something to inspire us to create something that we could wear in unison while we embark on this quest to become the best housewives. We googled, giggled, ate, giggled some more and finally decided that we should make a pair of Matryoshka Doll brooches to pin on our aprons. Lu being the whiz with a needle, whipped hers up in no time while at the same time trying to teach me how to blanket stitch my little, fabric lady together. I finally managed to complete the process of stitching her together - with a few minor hiccups, then it was time to get a little creative and give her a face.  Lets just say that this was not my finest hour. My cute little Matryoshka Doll ended up looking like a tired, depressed and somewhat angry lady which I guess kind of suited her since it took me about four hours to complete.

Even though sewing isn't one of my favourite hobbies, I felt quite satisfied with completing this tiny little fabric lady.

This is us trying to portray how our little fabric ladies were feeling. As you can see, mine is a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment