Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I shall call them super, awesome, almond biscuits!

While I love making biscuits from scratch, the temptation was too strong for me to resist the easiness of pre-made cookie dough and a tub of sugary, almond paste. With Christmas coming closer at an alarming rate, the supermarkets are being stocked with tasty things to prepare every housewife with the necessities to make every Christmas sweet. While the packaging of the cookie dough shows pictures of boomerang shaped biscuits, I thought of an idea to make these cookies even better. I am a HUGE fan of marzipan and all things almondy so it was only appropriate to create a super, awesome, almond biscuit.




Queue some music, preheat the oven and prepare the kitchen bench for some serious dough rolling. Armed with my rolling pin I set to work on the pliable dough and rolled it out to about 5mm thin. It was almost too tempting to eat the dough raw but I kept telling myself that the finished product will be even better. I scooped spoonfuls of almond paste out of the tub, rolled it into a ball and carefully crafted the dough around the ball making sure not to leave any gabs so the almond paste could ooze out once it was in the heat of the oven. Once the dough was formed into a nice, little ball I dipped the top in some super fine sugar, popped it on the oven tray and pressed it down with a fork which left a nice pattern in the top of a very tasty looking biscuit.



After the tray was full of these beauties, I popped it in the oven and eagerly waited while they baked away to create almondy bliss for my mouth. Hopefully for Roy's sake I can refrain from eating the whole lot before he gets home from work.


No comments:

Post a Comment